It’s no wonder that what we see around us on vacation can transform what we wear at home. We get used to the norm of dressing a certain way back home — but when we travel, our minds expand and we become open to new possibilities with style, fabric and color.
(provided by booking.com)
Watching the locals is the best way to get inspiration. Experimenting with local style and translating it to your look back home can make you feel like a new person, whether it’s simply wearing your hair differently, trying a bolder color or tying on a scarf in a vibrant local print.
Internationally renowned designer Christian Cowan and favourite of Lady Gaga, Cardi B, Miley Cyrus and other top tier tastemakers, teamed up with Booking.com (the global leader in connecting travellers with the widest choice of incredible place to stay) this last fall to create world’s most sparkly townhouse in Soho, London, just in time for the holiday season. The acclaimed designer shared some of his best tips for upgrading your vacation look – and your vacation vibe overall.
- A vacation is the time to get experimental with your style, the environment often allows you to be bold and adventurous with prints, textures, and accessories. It’s the perfect time to try out a new look that you wouldn’t necessarily wear at home, whether that’s due to a different culture or different climate. When it comes to vacation style I have one piece of advice: go big or go home!
- We are all guilty of spending excessive amounts of time planning our vacation wardrobe. My top tip for packing quick is to simply keep everything on the hanger. I have all my outfits on thin hangers, so they can easily fit right into a suitcase, and then on arrival I just pop them on the rail. Staple items should include anything that make you feel fabulous.
- TV and Hollywood has always influenced holiday style, we always want those magical movie moments on our vacation and a strong sense of style can help emulate that.
- This year will be all about animal print and unnatural colors. Be bold, vivid and exciting! Don’t be afraid to pack and mix different animal prints together, this creates a greater depth to your style, and shows you are unafraid. It is a style risk, but one that is sure to pay off.
- I love to stay in fashionable accommodations when I travel and for me there is no better stay than the super chic Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles. I adore a spa stay anywhere, but Aqualina Resort & Spa is brilliant, the facilities are amazing and the view is second-to-none. I love the Cheval Three Quays at The Tower of London apartment too, in a great spot in central London and close to countless stylish bars and restaurants.
- There are so many incredible fashion capitals, the most dominant for me are Dubai, Las Vegas and Rome. Dubai has an extreme sense of opulence that is envied on globally. Las Vegas is the ultimate place to have fun and Rome is super chic and refined, and the style there represents that to a tee. I think it’s fun to visit places outside the traditional style capitals, some of these cities are up and coming, and totally experimental, so it’s a fun environment to sample new style personally.
- When it comes to taking photos for social media, show people the side of you in a way they haven’t seen before – wear your new swimsuit or favorite dress, with your hair up (or down) for a change! For selfies – make the background interesting to show people you are on holiday.
To keep up with Christian, follow him on instagram @ChristianCowan .
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle, and culture — follow us @HOLRMagazine.